Narrowing your Focus as a Freight Agent: The Benefits of Specialization
When you first start out as a freight agent, all cargo is exciting. But as you start to grow your agency, narrowing your focus can actually have some major benefits to your bottom line. Specializing in a certain type of freight will undoubtedly make you an expert in the subject matter, which is valuable to clients who want someone who truly knows the ins and outs of their type of freight handling. And typically, companies are willing to invest more in someone who is an expert in their type of work.
Like many things in life, it’s not about what you do but how you do it. Some quick ideas for specializing in the right way include:
- Choose an area that you're passionate about or have experience with. This will make the learning process more enjoyable and ensure that you're able to excel in your chosen focus area.
- Build up a strong network of contacts within your chosen specialization so that you can tap into their knowledge and resources as needed.
- Define your niche and what services you'll offer. This will help you to focus your marketing and attract the right clients.
- Build a portfolio of work that showcases your expertise. This will help you stand out from the competition and show potential clients what you can do.
- Develop and nurture key relationships that can provide valuable leads and referrals down the line.
If you’re ready to specialize, fantastic! This decision can give you the opportunity to become an expert in something that interests you and can propel your career forward in an intentional way. Sureway agents have the support they need to move more freight faster—and the types of freight they love to work with. Connect with us and grow your agency in the specialty of your choosing.